Call for Proposals
Winter and Spring Break 2019
Maryland Short-term Study Abroad Programs
Thinking about offering a faculty-led study abroad program during Winter and/or Spring Break 2019? Education Abroad is seeking proposals for new and innovative short-term programs that support one or more of the following outcomes and goals:
- Explore innovative and entrepreneurial solutions to current global issues
- Facilitate cross-disciplinary interaction and collaboration
- Increase access to opportunities for underrepresented students in study abroad
- Further undergraduate research opportunities
- Expand the UMD study abroad program portfolio to underrepresented regions including Africa, Eastern Europe, South and Southeast Asia
- Further integrate study abroad experiences into departmental and program curricula through pre- and post-programming
- Focus on academic disciplines that are underrepresented in study abroad
Preference will be given to program proposals that
- Address current issues related to immigration and global migration
- Explore communities’ homegrown solutions to addressing global climate change and sustainability
- Involve students in learning about or planning for carbon offset projects
- Incorporate experiential learning (e.g., project-based learning, field work, service-learning, and civic engagement)
- Have the potential to fulfill a General Education learning outcome such as Scholarship in Practice, Understanding of Plural Societies, Cultural Competence or I-Series.
- Generate high demand due to course topic, subject area, and/or relevance across multiple academic interests.
Proposal Submission Deadline and Instructions
New Programs: Proposals must be submitted electronically via our web-based system and are due March 15, 2018. To request access to the proposal forms, please e-mail the following information to Jennifer Precht, Associate Director for Programs:
- Name and UID of person who will serve as on-site Program Director (should be UMD faculty or staff member submitting proposal)
- Program Location: city/cities and country/countries
- Sponsoring Academic Unit
Repeating Programs: Education Abroad will be contacting faculty who have led programs during a previous winter and spring break term to gauge your interest in running your program in 2019. We will also inform you if a full or short proposal is required this cycle.
Program Development Meeting
If you have questions about the proposal process, or if you would like to discuss developing a short-term program for 2019 or a future cycle, please contact Jennifer Precht, Associate Director for Programs, at 301-405-5747.
Please note that a program development meeting (in person or via phone) is required for all new and repeating program proposal submissions.
Sample Program Proposal Form
Preview of the proposal for a Maryland Short-term program.