Call for Proposals
Maryland Short-term Study Abroad Programs
Thinking about offering a faculty-led study abroad program during Summer 2018? Education Abroad is seeking proposals for new and innovative short-term programs that support one or more of the following outcomes and goals:
- Explore innovative solutions to current global issues
- Facilitate cross-disciplinary interaction and collaboration
- Increase access to opportunities for underrepresented students in study abroad
- Further undergraduate research opportunities
- Expand the UMD study abroad program portfolio to underrepresented regions including Africa, Eastern Europe, South and Southeast Asia
- Further integrate study abroad experiences into departmental and program curricula through pre- and post-programming
Preference will be given to program proposals that
- Explore communities’ homegrown solutions to addressing global climate change and sustainability
- Involve students in learning about or planning for carbon offset projects
- Incorporate experiential learning (e.g., project-based learning, field work, service-learning, and civic engagement)
- Have the potential to fulfill a General Education learning outcome such as Scholarship in Practice, Understanding of Plural Societies or Cultural Competence.
- Generates a high demand due to course topic, subject area, and/or relevance across multiple academic interests
Proposal Submission Deadline and Instructions
New Programs: Proposals must be submitted electronically via our web-based system and are due September 15, 2017. To request access to the proposal forms, please e-mail the following information to Jennifer Precht, Associate Director for Programs:
- Name and UID of person who will serve as on-site Program Leader (should be person submitting proposal)
- Program Location: city/cities and country/countries
- Sponsoring Academic Unit
Repeating Programs: Education Abroad will be contacting faculty who have led programs during a previous winter and spring break terms to gauge your interest in running your program in 2018. We will also inform you if a full or short proposal is required this cycle.
Program Development Meeting
If you have questions about the proposal process, or if you would like to discuss developing a short-term program for 2018 or a future cycle, please contact Jennifer Precht, Associate Director for Programs, at 301-405-5747.
Please note that a program development meeting (in person or via phone) is required for all new and repeating program proposal submissions.
Sample Program Proposal Form
Preview of the proposal for a Maryland Short-term program.
Developing a Faculty-led Study Abroad Program for New Terps: Terrapin Take Off (TTO) is a pre-university summer study abroad program designed for incoming freshmen. TTO programs are open to all incoming students, whether they are admitted to UMD in the fall or the spring, as long as they have committed to UMD. Ideally, these programs will meet at least one general education requirement and be directed to students who may not usually consider study abroad (pre-med students, student athletes, etc.). If you are interested in learning more about TTO and submitting a proposal for a new TTO program, please contact Deborah Lake McConnell, Assistant Director, at email@example.com.