Skip to content

UMD: A Globally Connected University

Visa Guidelines - Sweden

The guidelines below apply to students studying in Sweden for a period of over 90 days or for one semester up to one academic year. Please contact Education Abroad if you have any questions.

Is a Visa Required for US Citizens?
  • Yes! US Passport Holders are required to apply for a residence permit in order to stay in Sweden for more than 90 days.
  • If you are not a US passport holder, you can click here to see if you need a visa to enter Sweden based on your nationality.
  • Residence Permit Cost: $120
Important notes

The Swedish Embassy strongly recommends applying for a residence permit on-line through the  Swedish Migration Broad, and uploading the following documents electronically to your application. If you submit a paper application, you have to send all the required documents to the Embassy. The processing time takes about 1 to 2 months, and costs $120 for US citizens.

List of requirements
  • Copy of your valid US passport information pages + 2 blank pages available for the Sweden visa
  • Official Acceptance Letter from sponsoring Host university
  • Proof of international health insurance (contact Education Abroad for this documentation)
  • Bank statement showing that you have the financial means to support yourself o) recent photos in US passport photo format or
    • Proof that you have received a scholarship or financial aid, including information about the monthly amount and the period during which you will receive such funds
Application process

Review the following steps on the Swedish Migration Board website. 
  • Prepare the documentation listed the Swedish Migration Board website.
  • Complete and submit your on-line application according to the Swedish Migration Board’s instructions. You attach documents electronically and pay the $120 application fee using a VISA card or a MasterCard.
  • The Swedish Migration Agency processes your application in one to two months, and then notifies you by email to grant you a residence permit.
  • You can go to the Swedish Embassy to pick up your residence permit. It can take up to four weeks for the residence permit card to be prepared and delivered to the embassy.
  • Once the card has arrived there, you can collect it without making an appointment during normal business hours. You must bring your passport with you.
    • If you pay a shipping fee the Embassy will send the card to you (see Fee page for shipping cost). If you want to know whether your card has reached the embassy, you can contact the embassy at (202) 467-2600.
Contact Information
Embassy of Sweden, 2900 K Street, N.W. Washington, DC 20007
Tel: (202) 467-2600
Fax: (202) 467-2699

This page was last updated 5/31/17