Skip to content

UMD: A Globally Connected University

Visa Guidelines – Hong Kong
The guidelines below apply to students studying in Hong Kong for a period of a semester up to one academic year. Please contact Education Abroad if you have any questions.

Is a Visa Required for US Citizens?
  • Yes! US Passport Holders are required to apply for a visa in order to stay in the HKSAR for more than 90 days.
  • If you are not a US passport holder, you can click here to see if you need a visa to enter the HKSAR based on your nationality.
  • Cost: $230
Important notes
The HKSAR visa application is a two-part process requiring documentation from both the student and the sponsoring host institution in Hong Kong. The host institution will provide the ID995B form. Visa applicants can either submit an application through their local Chinese Visa Office, or fax their Application for Entry for Study in Hong Kong ID995A form and air mail their other application forms to the Hong Kong Immigration Department. Since this requires coordination with the sponsoring host institution in Hong, ultimately, the student should refer to the visa instructions provided by their host institution for how to complete their visa application.
In preparation for applying, students should review the Guidebook for Entry for Study in Hong Kong, and complete their Application for Entry for Study in Hong Kong (ID995A form).
List of requirements
  • A valid US passport + 1 photocopy of information page
  • Application for Entry for Study in Hong Kong (ID995A)
  • 1 (one) recent photos in US passport photo format
  • Office Acceptance Letter from sponsoring Host Institution
  • Proof of Financial Support by Financial Guarantor
    • The most recent Bank Statement is requested
Application process
The student will need to complete the ID995A form, and assemble their visa application (see above). Depending upon the instructions of their host institution in Hong Kong, they may choose one of the following:
  1. HKSAR application through the Visa Office of the Chinese Embassy.  To begin, complete the ID995A Application Form, print it and assemble it together with your Invitation letter other required documentation (see above). You will then to need to submit your application to the Visa Office.
Visa courier services are available to help you save time by depositing your visa application and retrieve your visa and passport on your behalf. However, you will need to pay a fee for this additional service. Education Abroad does not recommend any particular courier service.
If you choose to submit your application in person, an appointment is NOT required and walk-in service is available during office hours. The Visa Office will not accept any mail-in, online or fax applications. The processing time is 4 (four) business days, and you will be able to pick up your passport with visa on the date printed on your Pick-up slip, unless otherwise notified by the Visa Office.The Visa Office does not provide mailing services. You will pay the visa fee once your application is processed and approved.
The standard processing fee is $230 when you go to collect your passport and visa, and is paid by credit card (Visa or Mastercard only) or Money Order.
  1. Application through Hong Kong Immigration Department. Students should email their ID995A application to the Hong Kong Immigration Department, and coordinate with their host institution on the delivery of the ID995B. In either case, their US passport will be mailed back to them with their HKSAR visa inside.