Visa Guidelines - Taiwan
The guidelines below apply to students studying in Taiwan for a period of over 90 days or for one semester up to one academic year. Please contact Education Abroad if you have any questions.
Is a Visa Required for US Citizens?
- Yes! US Passport Holders are required to apply for a visa in order to stay in Taiwan for more than 90 days.
- If you are not a US passport holder, you can click here to see if you need a visa to enter Taiwan based on your nationality.
- Cost: $160
The Taiwan visa application requires submitting a complete visa application either directly to the Bureau of Consular Affairs, or submitting the application through a visa courier service. The visa processing time takes about 3 to 4 business days, and costs $160 for US citizens.
List of requirements
- A valid US passport + 2 blank pages available for the Taiwan visa
- 1 complete Visa Application Form + 1 copy
- 2 (two) recent photos in US passport photo format
- Office Acceptance Letter from sponsoring Host Institution
- Proof of Departure showing entry and departure from Taiwan
- Completed Taiwan Health Form with photo certification and $15 Health Form Fee
The student will need to complete the Visa Application Form, and assemble their visa application (see above).
- Assemble required documents and materials, including your passport, for the Taiwan Visa application (see above).
- Option 1) Schedule an appointment at the Taiwan Bureau of Consular Affairs to deposit the visa application for processing.
- Option 2) Contact a visa courier service to deliver the complete visa application on your behalf. Note that this will require an additional processing fee.
- Once your visa has been processed, your passport will be mailed back to you with the Taiwan Visa stamped inside.
TECRO address and contact information:
Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Republic of China (Taiwan) Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office in the United States
4201 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Washington, D.C. 20016