Call for Proposals
Winter & Spring Break 2020
Maryland Short-term Study Abroad Programs
Thinking about offering a faculty-led study abroad program during Winter or Spring Break 2020? Education Abroad is seeking proposals for new and innovative short-term programs that support one or more of the following outcomes and goals:
- Create multi-disciplinary project-based learning opportunities that explore pressing global problems and challenges
- Increase access to opportunities for underrepresented students in study abroad
- Further undergraduate research opportunities
- Expand the UMD study abroad program portfolio to underrepresented regions including Africa, Eastern Europe, South and Southeast Asia
- Further integrate education abroad into the major
- Focus on academic disciplines that are underrepresented in study abroad including but not limited to public health, agriculture, sociology, government & politics, and college of computer, mathematical and natural sciences
Preference will be given to program proposals that:
- Incorporate experiential learning (e.g., project-based learning, field work, service-learning, and civic engagement)
- Explore communities’ solutions to addressing global climate change and sustainability
- Involve students in learning about or planning for carbon offset projects
- Courses that are cross-listed and fulfill a General Education learning outcome such as Scholarship in Practice, Understanding of Plural Societies, Cultural Competence or I-Series
- Generate high demand due to course topic, subject area, and/or relevance across multiple academic interests
Proposal Submission Deadline and Instructions
New Programs: Faculty interested in serving as Program Leaders and developing new programs should meet with Education Abroad and the sponsoring academic unit to discuss proposal ideas. Those that meet the approval of the sponsoring academic unit, will be submitted electronically via our web-based system and are due March 1st, 2019. Access to the proposal forms will be granted once departmental approval has been received. To request access to the proposal forms, please e-mail the following information to Jennifer Precht, Associate Director for Programs:
- Name and UID of person who will serve as the Program Leader and Instructor of Record (should be UMD faculty or staff member submitting proposal)
- Program Location: city/cities and country/countries
- Sponsoring UMD Academic Unit
Repeating Programs: Education Abroad will be reaching out to the sponsoring academic departments to confirm their interest in offering previously run programs for Winter and Spring Break 2020. Education Abroad will also be contacting faculty who have led programs during a previous summer term to gauge your interest in running your program in 2020. We will also inform you if a full or short proposal is required this cycle. The deadline for submitting repeating program proposals for Winter and Spring Break 2020 is also March 1st, 2019.
Program Development Meeting
If you have questions about the proposal process, or if you would like to discuss developing a short-term program for Winter/Spring Break 2020 or a future cycle, please contact Jennifer Precht, Associate Director, at 301-405-5747 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that a program development meeting (in person or via phone) is required for all new and repeating program proposal submissions.
Sample Program Proposal Form
Preview of the proposal for a Maryland Short-term program.