Call for Proposals
Maryland Short-term Study Abroad Programs
Thinking about offering a faculty-led study abroad program during Summer 2019? Education Abroad is seeking proposals for new and innovative short-term programs that support one or more of the following outcomes and goals:
- Explore innovative and entrepreneurial solutions to current global issues
- Facilitate cross-disciplinary interaction and collaboration
- Increase access to opportunities for underrepresented students in study abroad
- Further undergraduate research opportunities
- Expand the UMD study abroad program portfolio to underrepresented regions including Africa, Eastern Europe, South and Southeast Asia
- Further integrate study abroad experiences into departmental and program curricula
- Focus on academic disciplines that are underrepresented in study abroad including but not limited to public health, agriculture and college of computer, mathematical and natural sciences
Preference will be given to program proposals that:
- Address current issues related to immigration and global migration
- Explore communities’ solutions to addressing global climate change and sustainability
- Involve students in learning about or planning for carbon offset projects
- Incorporate experiential learning (e.g., project-based learning, field work, service-learning, and civic engagement)
- Courses that are cross-listed and fulfill a General Education learning outcome such as Scholarship in Practice, Understanding of Plural Societies, Cultural Competence or I-Series.
- Generate high demand due to course topic, subject area, and/or relevance across multiple academic interests.
Proposal Submission Deadline and Instructions
New Programs: Proposals must be submitted electronically via our web-based system and are due September 15th, 2018. To request access to the proposal forms, please e-mail the following information to Jennifer Precht, Associate Director for Programs:
- Name and UID of person who will serve as the Program Leader and Instructor of Record (should be UMD faculty or staff member submitting proposal)
- Program Location: city/cities and country/countries
- Sponsoring UMD Academic Unit
Repeating Programs: Education Abroad will be reaching out to the sponsoring academic departments to confirm their interest in offering previously run programs during Summer 2019. Education Abroad will also be contacting faculty who have led programs during a previous summer term to gauge your interest in running your program in 2019. We will also inform you if a full or short proposal is required this cycle.
Program Development Meeting
If you have questions about the proposal process, or if you would like to discuss developing a short-term program for 2019 or a future cycle, please contact Jennifer Precht, Associate Director, at 301-405-5747.
Please note that a program development meeting (in person or via phone) is required for all new and repeating program proposal submissions.
Sample Program Proposal Form
Preview of the proposal for a Maryland Short-term program.
Developing a Program for New Terps:
Terrapin Take Off (TTO) is a pre-university summer study abroad program designed for incoming freshmen. TTO programs are open to all incoming students, whether they are admitted to UMD in the fall or spring. This is a great opportunity for departments to recruit new majors.
If you are interested in learning more about TTO and submitting a proposal for a new TTO program, please contact Deborah McConnell, Assistant Director, at email@example.com.