Pre-Departure OrientationAt your pre-departure orientations, you will:
- Address expectations for your upcoming experience
- Hear from study abroad alumni and international students about their experiences with the culture of your host region
- Meet other students who are studying abroad in your host region or on your program
- Learn how to prepare for your upcoming experience
Additional pre-departure events
- Maryland Short-term Programs
- Maryland Semester Programs (i.e. Maryland-in)
- Exchange, Affiliate, and Other Approved Programs
Mandatory Orientation Information
|Spring 2022 Program||Date||Time||Location|
|Arts & Humanities in London||Tuesday, November 2nd, 2021||4-6pm||Key 0116|
|Clark-in-Madrid & Spain ENGR Programs||Tuesday, November 2nd, 2021||5-8pm||Clark Hall - Forum|
|Maryland-in-Barcelona||Thursday, October 28th, 2021||4-6pm||Virtual*|
|Maryland-in-Copenhagen & Stockholm||Wednesday, November 3rd, 2021||4-6pm||HBK 112|
(including ARCH & PHYS)
|Wednesday, October 27th, 2021||5-7pm||Virtual*|
|Maryland-in-Nice||Tuesday, October 26th, 2021||4-6pm||Key 0116|
|Maryland-in-Rome||Thursday, October 28th, 2021||5-7pm||Virtual*|
|Maryland-in-Sevilla||Wednesday, November 3rd, 2021||4-6pm||Virtual*|
|SPHL-in-Kenya: Global Community Health Internship (HLTH)||TBD||TBD||TBD|
Exchange, Affiliate, and Other Approved Programs
Students participating in UMD exchanges, affiliate, or approved programs are required to attend a regional orientation. There are different sessions and time blocks for each region. You should attend the session for the location of your study abroad program.
Exchange, Affiliate, and Other Approved orientation sessions will be delivered in a virtual format. EA advisors will share the link to the session in early November.
|Asia||Thursday, November 18th, 2021||4-6pm||Virtual|
|Europe (excluding Spain, Italy, UK, & Ireland)||Wednesday, November 17th, 2021||4-6pm||Virtual|
|Israel||Tuesday, November 16th, 2021||5-7pm||Virtual|
|Italy (excluding Maryland-in programs)||Wednesday, November 17th, 2021||5-7pm||Virtual|
|Spain (excluding Maryland-in and ENGR programs)||Tuesday, November 16th, 2021||4-6pm||Virtual|
Communicating Across Cultures
Date: Thursday, November 4th, 2021
Time: 5:00 - 7:30 pm
Location: ESJ 1202
Education Abroad will host an interactive event for students studying abroad next term. You should sign up if you:
- Want to make friends abroad and successfully build your global network
- Gain skills that will help you adapt to new environments;
- Enhance skills that are highly desired by employers such as communication and intercultural competence;
- Connect with other study abroad students!
*Online sign up required.
This event is optional.