Pre-Departure OrientationAt your pre-departure orientations, you will:
- Address expectations for your upcoming experience
- Hear from study abroad alumni and international students about their experiences with the culture of your host region
- Meet other students who are studying abroad in your host region or on your program
- Learn how to prepare for your upcoming experience
Additional pre-departure events
- Maryland Short-term Programs
- Maryland Semester Programs (i.e. Maryland-in)
- Exchange, Affiliate, and Other Approved Programs
Mandatory Orientation Information
|Summer, Fall 2023, Full Year 2023-24 program||Date||Time||Location|
|Arts & Humanities in London||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|Clark-in-Madrid & ENGR Exchanges in Madrid||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|Maryland-in-Copenhagen & Stockholm||TBD||TBD||TBD|
(including ARCH and PHYS)
|SPHL-in-Kenya: Global Community Health Internship (HLTH)||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Exchange, Affiliate, and Other Approved Programs
Students participating in UMD exchanges, affiliate, or approved programs are required to attend a regional orientation.There are different sessions and time blocks for each region. You should attend the session for the location of your study abroad program.
Exchange, Affiliate, and Other Approved orientation sessions will occur April 19th and 25th, by country/regions below:
|Spain (minus MD-in-Barcelona and ENGR programs)
UK & Ireland
Americas and the Caribbean
Israel, Middle East, Africa
Australia & New Zealand
Miscellaneous Europe (not listed above)
Communicating Across Cultures
Location: Global Crossroads (1st floor of HJ Patterson, across from the Education Abroad & ISSP offices)
Education Abroad will host an interactive event for students studying abroad next term. You should sign up if you:
- Want to make friends abroad and successfully build your global network
- Gain skills that will help you adapt to new environments;
- Enhance skills that are highly desired by employers such as communication and intercultural competence;
- Connect with other study abroad students!
*Online sign up required.
This event is optional, but encouraged.
Wellness & Study Abroad
Location: Virtual - Zoom link here!
Could you recognize the signs of stress when you're in a new environment far from home and you want to take advantage of your experience? Have you thought about how to maintain your wellness while abroad? Join Dr. Petersen from the University Counseling Center, study abroad alumni, and Education Abroad in a virtual setting to hear about your fellow Terps' experiences abroad, learn how to recognize signs of stress and effective coping strategies, and get your questions answered for how to maintain your wellness abroad!