Visa Guidelines – AustraliaThe guidelines below apply to students studying in Australia for a period of a semester up to one academic year. Please contact Education Abroad if you have any questions.
IMPORTANT NOTES ABOUT THE AUSTRALIAN STUDENT VISA
- You may not apply for a visa until you have received a COE – Confirmation of Enrollment – directly from the host university.
- Visa type: Student Visa Subclass 500
- Format: Electronic (e-Visa)
- Cost: $450 - $500 USD plus surcharge
- Payment method: Credit Card
- Work permit included with visa subclass 500 – permits up to 20 hours/week paid employment during the semester
- Visit the Australian Immigration website:
- Click on the Apply tab to view application information – you are a student outside Australia applying online for a new student visa.
- Create an ImmiAccount with a login and password – you will need this to access information regarding the status of your visa
- Review and “Agree” to the Terms and Conditions
- Read “Life in Australia – Australian Values” and click “Next”
- Complete your personal details
- Note: “Family Name” refers to your last name and “Given Name” is your first name
- Skip the section: “If you have an Australian visa grant number, please enter the visa grant number.”
- Skip the section: “If you have a current Australian visa label in your current or previous passport please enter the visa number” unless this applies to you
- Click “Next” at bottom of the page
- Read your inputted information
- Answer “Yes” to “Is all the information above correct?”
- Click “Next”
- Click “Add Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) number.
- Fill in your specific COE, which is located in the letter issued by your host university
- Be prepared to include supporting documents. You may use the Document Checklist Tool to see what you should prepare. Items may include:
- An uploaded copy of your COE
- Evidence of your enrollment in OSHC
- A statement of Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement
- Evidence of your identity (certified copy of your birth certificate or Driver's License)
- Employment History (your CV or resume included dates and positions held for at least five years)
- Migration Agent Form 956
- Appointment or withdrawal form 956A
- Qualifications - academic transcript
- Continue to answer the questions until you reach the end of the application and submit payment. All sections must be completed or your application will be refused.
- If you have a question on a section of the visa application after entering your COE, please contact your Education Abroad advisor and do not guess on the answer! You may save your application and return to it later after we help you with the correct response.
- If you are asked if you want to include in the application other courses that you hold a letter of offer for but not a confirmation of enrolment, answer “NO”
- If you are asked “How your studies in Australia will be funded?” most likely your answer will e “NONE OF THE ABOVE”
- If you are asked if you intend to take any “foundation or “bridging” courses, answer “NO.”
- The telephone country code for the US is “1” and thus, you will enter your phone number as: Country code: 1, area code: 555, telephone number: 555-5555
- If asked to provide your Australian address, leave that part BLANK
- If asked which office location is most convenient in case you need to physically visit an office, choose “Washington DC.”
- If asked “Do you agree to this Department communicating with you by fax, e-mail or other electronic means?” select “YES” and enter an appropriate e-mail address.
- If asked if you hold health insurance with approved Overseas Student Health Coverage (OSHC) provider, please answer “YES”.
- After applying, you will get a confirmation e-mail that will have your TRANSACTION REFERENCE NUMBER. Keep this handy in case you need to log into your application later.
- Check your e-mail and spam folder often after applying. When you are approved, you will receive a confirmation e-mail known as a VISA GRANT NOTIFICATION
- You will not receive any further paperwork and you will NOT mail in your passport.
- Most student receive their VISA GRANT NOTIFICATION within 1-3 days via e-mail (some applications have taken several weeks due to high volume).
- If you are sent an e-mail that indicates that you need to complete/download medical forms or other documentation, you must do so immediately as these steps will take at least 3-6 weeks for completion.
Information provided from immi.gov.au and The Education Abroad Network.
Updated December 2016